Nurses Corner

Sunday, March 26, 2006

IV's and Pet Cows

IV's aren't my idea of a good time and there's been a rash of them lately. Some RN's love IV's, some specialize in various forms of IV care. Give me a nasty ol' draining, smelly, gangrenous wound any day.

The skinny is that one of the hospitals is having a run of infection, MRSA particularly. MRSA is just evil. It's known as a super-infection. Patients with MRSA continue to be placed in isolation rooms, which is all well and good. The flip side is - pretty much anyone who's been in contact with a MRSA patient now carries this super bug as part of their natural flora. MRSA is a direct result of years of over-use of antibiotics.

One of my patients this weekend was in a MRSA isolation room for his hospital stay. He was so isolated that when a nurse finally came into his room, he quipped, "How long would it take you to come in here if I were dead?"

***

The weekend's gone by in a blur of activity. Wildly busy, the pager is fixin' to take a swim in the Columbia River if it doesn't stop beeping, and as far as can be told at this moment, there's only one more visit to do, unless yet another patient calls.

The tendency is to dread whatever is coming my way in anticipation. The reality is usually quite different. One of the new patients admitted to care this weekend is an absolutley wonderful, charming lady. Since I'm weekend per diem, chances of seeing her again are not likely, her case manager will take over Monday, and is going to be very fortunate to meet and care for this lady.

Another admission is a gentleman we've had on service before. It was just plain good fun seeing him again, so much so that I didn't really mind the wad of paper that goes with this territory. For all he's been through, and as chronically ill as he is, he has a wicked sense of humor. My kinda guy!

Another case turned out to be a man I'd met during orientation, when I first started this job. It was wonderful to see him again. He's got a nice place out in a nearby small town, a pet cow in the front yard, and just recently gave away a goat that rode on the cows back. The cow has since made good friends with a black lab. They nap together on their backs in the grass. I wish I'd had a camera with me.

The initial shock of Friday's assignment has worn off, the weekend's worked out fairly well. I can't complain too much, great patients, fun stuff, cows and goats. Life's good!

;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home